Sunday, April 24, 2011

Help! I can't find clarity in my work

Problems at work? Need advice? Our agony uncle ? and readers ? have the answers

How should I speak up for myself now my contract's run out?

I'm 28 and moved to London from New Zealand last year. Since January I have been working in publications/editorial at a university. My official role, on a two-month contract, was assistant editor, a big step down from my previous job but I knew I'd enjoy the work.

My contract expired in February. HR told me they'd need me to stay on and that a new contract would be forthcoming. However, it hasn't appeared.

The publications manager also had to leave unexpectedly and I have taken on her responsibilities, being the only other person on the "team".

Meanwhile, the company is recruiting a new publications manager and, to my surprise, did not bring this up with me. While I'm enjoying the extra responsibilities I feel very nervous that I still don't have a contract and my increased workload has not been acknowledged in any way.

How can I assert myself here? I need to speak up for myself but, to be honest, I don't know where to begin.

Jeremy says:

There's a very common workplace predicament that goes something like this:

Employee A, although very able, is diffident by nature. As a result, he (or, of course, she) is reluctant to put himself forward for promotion or a salary rise; not really believing that such an action will cost him his job, but nonetheless fearful. This diffidence has two consequences. First, his employer, consciously or unconsciously, gives this employee less attention ("it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil"). And second, the employer concludes that this diffident and uncomplaining member of staff seems to be somewhat lacking in "leadership qualities".

A certain assertiveness and self-confidence are believed ? not unreasonably ? to be reliable indicators of someone's capacity to manage others.

So, perverse as it may seem, your reluctance to raise the perfectly proper question of your own future may, in itself, be prejudicing it.

Bottling up concern of this kind is bad on two counts. Worried people work less well; and repressed anxiety often boils over into an unproductive outburst, rather than a reasonably phrased request for an appraisal.

In your case you've every right to feel that your employer's been a little lax ? in not rewarding you for your extra duties and in not even informing you of their search for a new publications manager. But please don't let any resentment show.

Instead, approach HR ? or your line manager ? with a simple written request. Confirm that you much enjoy the work you do then ask, in the light of the new responsibilities you've happily taken on, if you could have a formal review.

In particular, you'd be grateful to know how your performance to date has been assessed, whether the new contract that was mentioned some time ago is forthcoming, and how your future prospects appear. You're not asking for firm commitments; but you'd much value an open appraisal as you very much hope to earn the opportunity to progress.

I can't believe that this approach would do anything to prejudice your position ? and it might well in itself improve your standing.

Readers say:

? You accepted a very short-term job and are from abroad ? perhaps they just haven't brought it up because they think you're not interested in a long-term role? Write out your reasons for wanting the job and the duties you've been doing and use them to have a conversation with either your line manager, or the hiring manager.

Especially, try to pre-emptively tackle any concerns they might have about your visa status or long-term plans. However, be prepared for them to say that you haven't been with them long enough, and [don't] put as much weight as you might like on the fact that this position was a step down. shirleyujest

? Approach whoever is in charge of the appointment and say you would like to be considered for the role. Also, explain that you have essentially been doing the job to a good standard since your colleague left and tell them what else you think you could bring to the role. You already know what the job entails, which saves them the time and expense of training someone else. You might also be a bit cheaper than hiring externally. This worked for me. CharlottePatricia

? If you don't get what you want, or if they're still wavering over the contract extension, perhaps it's time to move on. Make it clear to them that you would leave ? hopefully that'll give them the impetus to get things sorted. I can't imagine they want to lose you, as well as the publications manager, at the same time. JudeBurke

My career has taken many turns but I can't find clarity

My contract is coming to an end and I need to find a job, but I'm struggling with what I want to do next.

I have worked as a chef and run my own catering business. I gave that up because I wanted to work in large organisations, develop my management skills and learn from others.

I then fell into teaching in a local college, which I enjoyed, and it was great for my self confidence. I really enjoy organising and problem solving, so moved on to working on projects in the education and local government sector, as well as a nine-month stint on a large project for a well-known retailer.

I took my current position, working on local government projects, for the sake of having a job but feel I want more. I want to find something I care about. I have spent lots of time reflecting on what inspires me, have made endless notes and have done a little research. The problem is, I need to pay the bills so feel I have to be practical. I've been applying for project-related jobs that leave me cold.

What I'd really like to do is get into a more creative field, such as interior design, and start up another business. However, getting an interim job in a field like this would mean a drop in salary that I cannot afford. I feel I now have enough experience to be working at managerial level and feedback indicates that others agree.

As well as being very practical, I'm also analytical and am studying part time for an MSc in global politics. I'm also considering possibly developing this as a career. Can you suggest anything to help me find some clarity?

Jeremy says:

As you must know, your letter makes the reasons for your confusion only too apparent. It's difficult to discern any sort of pattern, or consistency, in the jobs you've done so far ? or even in the sort of jobs you're contemplating. Torn between being creative and managerial; and equally interested interior design and working in global politics.

It's not unusual for people to take some years to discover a way of making a living that's both satisfying and financially adequate. More often than not, the discovery comes about through happy accident rather than directly through research and self-analysis ? though I'd never discourage either. I'll be more than usually interested to hear from others who've found their way out of the maze.

Meanwhile, you need a job. I'd go for those that offer not just a decent wage, but also the greatest variety. You may not be certain what you want to do until you bump into it ? so maximise your chances of bumping into things.

But do keep up that part-time course in global politics. Something must have drawn you to this slightly unusual subject ? and it's always worth following your nose.

Readers say:

? It is unrealistic to expect to get a managerial level job in a field you've no experience of. If you do have the talent you'll have to start at the bottom, like everyone else. If that's not appealing perhaps you'll need to leave your creative pursuits to the weekend. Not only will you remain solvent, you'll develop skills outside work, balancing out some of the dissatisfaction you're feeling with your job. louella72

? I'll take your word for it that you can't afford to take a less well paid job ? I'm in the same position, as lots of us are, with bills and responsibilities. Unfortunately, that pretty much precludes starting out again in the arts ? it's fiercely competitive and you get paid naff all. You'd be better to put your considerable professional experience to good use. There are plenty of roles ? perhaps in the business side of creative agencies. Personally, I come from an artistic background and work in management, helping to design better businesses ? it's creative enough to keep me interested. neeny

? I work in kitchen and bathroom design and it's all about problem solving. Being able to design something practical that comes in on budget is every bit as important as making it look pretty. That said, it's not well paid and I have over eight years' experience.

Also bear in mind that interior design is about sales. There is a lot of pressure and the business is not always as pleasant as people think. PeteHarris

For Jeremy Bullmore's advice on a work issue, send a brief email to dear.jeremy@guardian.co.uk. Please note that he is unable to answer questions of a legal nature or reply personally.

Read next week's problems on the Money blog from Monday and post your advice ? we'll run the best of it alongside Jeremy's in next Saturday's column.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/apr/16/dear-jeremy-work-advice

Andy Flower Wolverhampton Wanderers The FA Lloyds Banking Group Supermarkets Sepp Blatter

No comments:

Post a Comment