Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gregg Wallace: 'I'd like to have my iPod make my coffee in the morning'

The MasterChef co-presenter gets bewildered by technology, but wouldn't say no to a robot to do his cooking prep

What's your favourite piece of technology, and how has it improved your life?
Without doubt my iPod. I got my iPod as a Christmas present three years ago and couldn't believe I could just carry around, in that small space, all the memories of my life. It was just amazing.

When was the last time you used it, and what for?
This morning in the gym. I've got a section of jogging music, which is all upbeat tunes, and a bit of rock. You just work harder if you play it.

What additional features would you add if you could?
I'd like a coffee percolator on it. I'd like to be able to get up in the morning, turn it on, listen to some music and have it make my coffee.

Do you think it will be obsolete in 10 years' time?
Without a doubt. There is no bit of kit which is now lasting five years, let alone 10 years. There'll be something completely different, I couldn't even guess what.

What always frustrates you about technology in general?
I'm a technophobe, I just don't understand it. I can't work it out, somebody has to sit down and show me ? I find it terribly frustrating. I still struggle to work the telly ? I often have to shout up the stairs for the kids to come down and put it on to DVD for me.

Is there any particular piece of technology that you have owned and hated?
I hate it all. I enjoy it, but if you handed me a piece of kit now, I would be scared. I'd hand it back to you, and say, 'just show me how to use it'. Two things in life I hate ? one is technology, the other is forms. I just have an aversion to them. I'm lucky ? I've got teenage kids, and I've got a very clever girlfriend who's a lot younger than me, so between them they do everything.

If you had one tip about getting the best out of new technology, what would it be?
Make friends with teenagers ? they will show you how to get the best out of your technology. If there was a disease which wiped out all the teenagers, none of us would be able to use anything.

Do you consider yourself to be a luddite or a nerd?
Definitely a luddite. I mean, phones ? I just hate phones. You can't get a phone any more that just makes phone calls. And that's all I want to use it for. They do so many things ? I'd have them all smashed up, and just have phones that make phone calls. I really am a proper technophobe ? I get nervous at a doorbell.

What's the most expensive piece of technology you've ever owned?
My car. My Lexus has got a central panel where everything works off a touchscreen computer ? the stereo, the phone, the air conditioning, the satnav. I mean, that is very impressive. And the satnav they've built into it reroutes you if there's congestion, which I find incredible.

Mac or PC, and why?
PC, because I can use a PC, and I use Outlook Express ? I run my life with Outlook Express, which I love. A Mac, I've got no idea how it works, I wouldn't go anywhere near it ? although Macs look prettier. Oh, and I play really big strategy war games on the PC.

Do you still buy physical media such as CDs and DVDs, or do you download? What was your last purchase?
I download music, I don't buy CDs any more, but I still buy DVDs.

Robot butlers ? a good idea or not?
Yeah, brilliant idea. I don't believe in I, Robot, that great film with Will Smith ? they're not going to go and take over the world. When was the last time you got mugged by a toaster? It's a wonderful idea. What we really need, though, is a robot kitchen porter to do your cooking prep.

What piece of technology would you most like to own?
A slimming machine ? very much like a sunbed, where I could eat as much as I wanted and as long as I lay under the slimming machine it would extract all the fat. That would be a brilliant thing, wouldn't it?

? MasterChef is on BBC1


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/18/celebrity-squares-gregg-wallace

Labour Kazakhmys Gender Manchester City Chelsea Energy industry

No comments:

Post a Comment