Sunday, February 12, 2012

How can I raise the part-time question?

Problems at work? Need advice? Our agony uncle ? and readers ? have the answers

I'd like to go part-time, but how do I best raise it with the company?

I work for a media company in a business development role; the company has just been taken over and is now debt free with a seemingly more positive future. But the department I work in isn't making a great deal of money and there could be casualties on the horizon ? although I'm not privy to that information. I have been making money for the company, albeit less over recent years.

I'd like to go part-time to allow me to study and develop in other areas. My query relates to the way to go about it: Do I wait for the first quarter figures this year (when they may be looking to make savings)? Do I wait until a possible redundancy is on the table (I've been at the company for around seven years)? Or do I casually raise it and say to my boss, "If you need to make further savings before any redundancies, perhaps, for some, there could be a shorter working week"?

Jeremy says

This, as you clearly recognise, is a tricky one. When companies have to make payroll savings, they usually think first of making redundancies ? it seems altogether cleaner and neater than keeping on the same number of people, but putting them on to shorter working weeks. And when considering redundancies, they naturally first consider those whose contribution they least value.

I'd be wary of raising part-time working now ? however casually. Nobody enjoys making people redundant, so it would be only human if your boss were to see your question as evidence of a degree of half-heartedness on your part, and therefore justification for putting you on the vulnerable list. Once that's happened, of course, there's no going back. I think you'd be wiser to wait and see. If redundancies are made, and you're among them, you've nothing to lose by then suggesting a shorter working week, instead. If you're not among them, the conclusion must be that you're relatively secure, so you'd be risking little by raising it.

But one thing I urge you to do. When putting your case, you'll be tempted to emphasise the advantages to you: more time to study and develop your life in other directions. You must also have a strong argument that such an arrangement would be in your company's interest, as well. You must be certain that your role can be as effectively carried out in four days as in five ? and be seen to have thought it all through with great conscientiousness.

Framed properly, and that means assessing the implications through your company's eyes as well as your own, your request doesn't have to imply any lack of commitment on your part.

Readers say

? I wanted to go part-time for a variety of reasons, and the general reaction from management was negative. Part-time work was seen as OK for women in admin support positions, but not for men in professional roles (yes, this was only a few years ago in the UK ? and yes, I did sometimes think I'd woken up in 1973). After some arguing I was allowed to go part-time, but it became obvious that any thought of career progression was out of the question.

A subsequent workplace (where I was a contractor, not an employee) was making cutbacks, and they sent a message to all staff inviting volunteers to reduce to part-time/ taking a sabbatical before they started seeking redundancies. My own employer simply imposed short-time working on everyone. CatfordCat

? Even if the company had a rigid plan for the next nine months (unlikely), you just don't have the information to second-guess what moves it will make. What you do have is clarity about what you would like for yourself, and provided you have a reasonable relationship with your boss, you should share this with him and see where it goes. You have been making money for the company, and should be well thought of, which is a happy place to start. Mudmaid

? I am a new father and tried going part-time but was rejected as it did not suit the business. Before and after my application, mothers who applied on the same grounds were accepted. Fathers for justice! Barryislandbartos

I feel I'm missing out, but if I quit I'll be letting down my team

I work for a media company in a business development role; the company has just been taken over and is now debt free with a seemingly more positive future. But the department I work in isn't making a great deal of money and there could be casualties on the horizon ? although I'm not privy to that information. I have been making money for the company, albeit less over recent years.

I'd like to go part-time to allow me to study and develop in other areas. My query relates to the way to go about it: Do I wait for the first quarter figures this year (when they may be looking to make savings)? Do I wait until a possible redundancy is on the table (I've been at the company for around seven years)? Or do I casually raise it and say to my boss, "If you need to make further savings before any redundancies, perhaps, for some, there could be a shorter working week"?

Jeremy says

Your problem, as I understand it, is this. You're senior enough to be part of the team charged with turning your agency round; but although you don't say so explicitly, the fact that you're dissatisfied with the progress this team has made clearly suggests that you have doubts about the its composition and leadership. You feel you could make a greater contribution, learn more and progress more quickly, with different people, somewhere else.

If that's your frame of mind, it may not be a constructive act of loyalty for you to soldier on. Turn-around teams need to be united and committed. If it's not already apparent to the rest of your team, your dissatisfaction with the progress of the office and your role within it, soon will be. The chances are that, quite unintentionally, your continued unenthusiastic presence might actually do more harm than good.

So I think you should make an internal decision to go ? and not just for your own sake. You're disinclined to move to a rival agency and start all over again, and you believe you've chalked up some reasonable credit with your existing company. You say there are parts of that company that are among the best ? and certainly more flourishing than your present office. So you should certainly ? and discreetly ? sound out your chances of an internal transfer.

When doing so, however, be careful to construct a valid reason for wanting to transfer that isn't dependent on criticism of your present team. That would be an unforgivable farewell present to your former colleagues and is, in any case, unnecessary. Be aware, however, that even a tentative enquiry of this kind can lead to unintended consequences. If your standing within the company isn't quite as high as you like to believe, you might well find yourself having to look outside.

Readers say

? None of us has a crystal ball, and while I can well understand your loyalty, if a year or two more won't change things dramatically, why hang about? Equally, if you are close to the original goal and an award is on the horizon, stay, as it will make you much more appealing to future employers.

The bottom line is that anyone that has clearly left a task unfinished and bolted, doesn't win any popularity contests with future employers. Loyalty ? as you have said ? is important, especially in this market. ExBrighton Belle

? In my experience, at least, advertising agencies tend to include a disproportionate number of highly-competitive people who have rather large (albeit often undeserved) egos, coupled with questionable morals and a tendency to move quickly from job to job because they constantly crave recognition, status, etc.

If you're uncomfortable working in such companies, perhaps you should consider whether it's the industry you should be changing, rather than just your job. I would also advise against convincing yourself that the grass must be greener elsewhere ? you may receive better pay/benefits but would you be any happier if, when it comes down to it, your issue is with the industry, rather than your company? SmartBananaGal

For Jeremy's and readers' advice on a work issue, send a brief email to dear.jeremy@guardian.co.uk. Please note that he is unable to answer questions of a legal nature or reply personally.


guardian.co.uk © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/feb/03/dear-jeremy-work-issues-solved

Lee Bowyer Weather Annuities Switzerland BBC UK security and terrorism

No comments:

Post a Comment