Friday, September 30, 2011

SNCF is delaying missed flight payout

My train was late so I missed my easyJet flight from Nice and had to pay �607 for a BA flight. Now the French railways are delaying my insurance claim

For my journey home from France I had planned to take a bus to Toulon, the TGV train to Nice, and a bus to the airport with two hours to spare for my easyJet flight to Edinburgh. The first bus never turned up and the next arrived too late to catch the train. The following train was 40 minutes late so I caught a slow train and got to the easyJet gate 10 minutes after it closed. I took a BA flight costing �607.

My insurer, Flexicover, said it would consider a claim for missed departure if I provided written confirmation that the bus and train had both been delayed. The bus company replied the following day but SNCF told me to contact Rail Europe in the UK. Rail Europe said, as I hadn't booked through them, I would have to pay them �25 to approach SNCF, an offer I declined. DM-S, Glasgow

You then changed your mind and agreed to pay Rail Europe but learned that, since SNCF had upgraded its mail-handling software, correspondence between the two companies was now taking four months.

Rail Europe promised me it would chase SNCF. I also asked Axa, which provides the Flexicover insurance, whether it would process your claim without waiting for SNCF and it agreed to look at it. Before it could decide, the SNCF confirmation turned up. But then Axa wanted written confirmation that you had not taken the easyJet flight. Fortunately easyJet replied immediately and, three weeks later, Axa sent �607 to cover the BA flight.

You can email Margaret Dibben at your.problems@observer.co.uk or write to Margaret Dibben, Your Problems, The Observer, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU and include a telephone number. Do not enclose SAEs or original documents. The newspaper accepts no legal responsibility for advice.


guardian.co.uk © 2011 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds


Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/sep/24/sncf-delaying-flight-payout

Social care Rape North Korea Petrol prices Local government Alexander Litvinenko

No comments:

Post a Comment