Friday, March 11, 2011

What I see in the mirror: Alan Bleasdale

'With my beard, I could audition for Santa Claus'

I can't see in the mirror, because I have three prolapsed discs and I am lying down. I am not the kind of man who keeps mirrors on the ceiling. Like most people in my family, I have a long back and short legs, and I'd give anything for longer legs and a shorter back, because it's meant to be better for your back.

Generally, I avoid looking in the mirror, and I shave blindfolded ? I am sure that's male vanity. I don't want to see a man who has just filled in his forms for his state pension and a special dispensation on trains. I have three different heads of hair because I've salt-and-pepper hair on my head, jet-black eyebrows and a white beard. I've got more hair than I imagined I would have 40 years ago and, with my beard, I could audition for Santa Claus.

I am 6ft and 14� stone, which is only a stone heavier than I was when I was much younger. Occasionally I go on a gluten-free diet, partly because I have psoriasis in my ears and that, apparently, helps to clear it up.

I sometimes get stopped in the street by former students from when I was a schoolteacher and they always say, "You haven't changed at all, Sir." I know it is a compliment, but my first thought is, "Good God, did I look like this in 1969?" I am from the Beatles era and I am very glad that I just missed out on being a teddy boy, because I suspect I would still have a quiff.

? The Sinking of the Laconia, written by Alan Bleasdale, is out on DVD on 14 March.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/12/what-see-in-mirror-alan-bleasdale

Blackpool Rihanna US constitution and civil liberties Bradford Bulls The Ashes Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment